Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ladies that rock







I was looking through my music collection several months ago and I noticed a troubling trend. I had almost no female artists in my collection. I decided to do something about it and focus on trying to discover some good female artists in an attempt to rectify the disparity. Here some artists I found that I really dig now:
Sinead O'Conner- Okay, she is a little weird but I love her voice
Ani DiFranco- That girl can play some mean guitar and is a true independent spirit
Adele- so young and with such talent
Duffy- not the Amy winehouse clone some claim she is, i love the production on her album
PJ Harvey- dark, disturbing, and very cool
Rodrigo y Gabriela- I know one member is a guy but the true hero here is Gabriela
Ella Fitzgerald- old school but such a great voice
Nina Simone- She had me with her first note
Dido- so chill and a great songwriter
Shakira- her new English stuff is not that great, but her earlier Spanish stuf is awesome
The Pipettes- love the harmonies

Interesting that most of these are either singer-songwriter or jazz singers. I didn't find any metal or rock acts that were mostly female that I liked. Still looking....






















1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

where is my picture? :D